Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I wish I didn't call...

So after a long day of waiting I went home to check on everyone. The girls were happy. The dogs were happy after food and a walk. I went over to Alice and Scotts house to see the girls and have some dinner. It was nice to be out of the hospital and back to somewhere familiar. About 8:30 right before we were getting ready to leave I thought I would make a call to check in. I thought that if she was awake we could all say hello to her. I got a hold of the nurse and asked to speak to Lisa. He said that she was not in her room and took her downstairs for a procedure. I asked what that meant and he said she went down for a scan to see where and why she was bleeding. They did not know where and needed to find out. She was stable but they had to give her 2 pints of blood while upstairs. I hung up with the nurse thought about it for a few minutes and decided to leave the girls in good hands and race down to see what was wrong. After running home and letting the dogs out I was on the road to see Lisa. I have to say I was pretty freaked out. Of course I had this fight with myself about if she is ok or not. I would try to think positive then all of the sudden I would get hit with the bad thoughts. My heart was racing but I was trying to stay calm. See we already had warning early in the afternoon with Lisa having blood on her pillow. That image kept coming back into my head and seemed to be all I could think about. I parked ran up stairs, made it to the ICU and went down to Lisa's room. I walked in and found Lisa in bed talking on the phone. She was talking to her mom acting like everything was normal. She got off the phone and I fired off the questions. Are you OK? What procedure did they do? How much blood did you get? ARE YOU OK? She looked at me with glassy eyes and said, "yeah i'm OK, why?" I told about the brief conversation with the nurse and why I rushed down. Apparently the nurse had given me the information for a patient named Johnson, not Johnston. I was really upset but so relieved to find out that she was just fine. I admit that I didn't hold it together and feel bad that I broke down in front of Lisa. I am so glad she was alright. Here is the photo I took of her before I left last night.



2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blogs and am so glad you are doing ok. The worst is behind you and now here is hoping for a quick recovery which is filled with many painfree days. My daughter who is 27 sees Neuro tommorrow about possible surgery for Chiari. I stumbled upon your blogs while googling this condition. Sounds like you have a great husband and support system. God Bless You and hope you are back on your feet in no time....Sharon B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, thanks for posting. I sure hope your daughter has a good appointment and gets the info she needs. It is definitely not easy thinking someone you love has to go through this, but I am only thinking this as a step in the right direction. I am hopeful that after the recovery process Lisa can feel "normal" again and start fresh with all of the things she has wanted to do. I see no reason she can't as long as she takes care of herself. We seem to have a great support system and very fortunate for that. Good luck with your daughters appointment.
    John

    ReplyDelete