Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I DID IT }

I guess you don't really need any details of the week since John has done such a good job updating my blog and keeping everyone posted on the daily events.  I thought I would have much more time to blog for myself, but it turns out that when you have brain surgery you are kind of wiped out.

here is my hospital stay - for the archives.
ICU was easy - my staples were protected with a cushy bandage and i had the pain pump and a wonderful nurse named Kate.  The night nurse, Sue wasn't so hot so i found myself watching the clock for 7am when Kate would be returning. It was on Sue's watch that someone told John that I was bleeding and going to get a scan - and he rushed down. I think it really took his head out of the game.  Things were going along so positive and everyone was celebrating and then that (false) info really set him off.  

So - then Wednesday sometime they broke the news to me that i was moving to a regular room and that I had to say goodbye to my pain pump.   It also meant that Physical and Occupational Therapy would by knocking on my door and asking me to get up and move around.  I wasn't really ready to - i was pretty one with my bed but I was also anxious to see what I could do.  Could I walk?  to the bathroom? down the hall?  I think it was pretty slow going at first, I was getting really exhausted going to the door and back.  Then I had them teaching me how to put on my socks and dress myself.. the simple things where the rules have changed (for now)  Wednesday I laid low. 


Thursday I woke up and felt a lot better - I ordered myself all of my meals (consisting of toast and cereal)    There was more physical therapy with neck exercises and also a shower. I was so anxious for a shower.  It is hard to let someone else wash your hair - it would have been easier if it weren't so long - but my only job was to keep my balance.   I had new washed braids and then a visit from my little ladies.  It was so great to see the girls!  50 some hours is the longest I have ever been away from them.  Everything had been going A-OK at home.  John was doing the mom-gig with flying colors. (just like I knew he would be)


On Friday all the nurses started talking about me going home.  I might have over-done it on thursday, cause I didn't feel so hot.  John came to visit with Alice  -and Mia in tow.  Turns out Mia didn't finish all of her homework and was worried she would get in trouble so she opted to stay out of school for the day instead.  It took a lot to hold it together in front of Mia.  I really wanted to lay there and moan and groan. The big talk of the day was that it was better for me to be home then in the hospital - so that I didn't catch anything in the hospital and so that i could heal faster in my own bed.  I think that John was resisting with me.  He wasn't ready for the responsibility.  John left and spent the day getting ready for me to come home... just in case.  And in the afternoon my dad & family flew in from Iowa.  They visited me in the hospital and around that time we got word that I was cleared by OT and PT and i was headed home (like it or not)  Well, wait  - they said i could stay, but i would run the risk of my insurance not paying for it since i was progressing.  I guess that helped us be OK with their decision.  About 85 hours after checking in the the hospital tuesday morning we were headed home.

me and my surroundings.  

I was so glad to at least not be fighting rush hour.  My Dad, Pam and Kim took our girls out to dinner while we got home and settled.  I had a station set up.  The laptop, iPad, cellphone  - chargers, and then a tv tray of things I might need and some new fluffy blankets... and 2 bored dogs waiting to keep my company.  The girls got back - tucked me in.  John set all the alarms on his phone to wake up every 4 hours to remind him to medicate me and then I was off to zzzzzz.  It was an adventure of a week.  Now, more healing.
leaving the hospital room


No comments:

Post a Comment