Monday, January 17, 2011

Change of scenery } Keystone

We had planned to go to Keystone for MLK weekend if my appt. went well with Dr. Oro and since it did - off we went.  We really only went for one night and two days but it was just what we needed to do a little celebrating and get a change of scenery.   John and the girls had reservations for the tubing hill at noon.  We met up with the Leprys and we all made it on the gondola.  Everyone hit the tubing hill and I got to watch.  The first time my people went down the hill I could see how much fun it was.  I thought that maybe it was something I could do next year.  John rode the magic carpet back up the hill and dashed my hopes with the reality that it was JUST like a roller coaster.  humpf.  Guess i will be enjoying the scenery from now on. (which by the way is an amazing $31 ticket to ride the gondola and walk around at the top)  I was wondering what altitude would do to my head - and oddly when I was a the top of the mountain I could hear little pops and cracks (my brain re-adjusting to the altitude and the pressure?) So, with that being said - i didn't stay up there long.  I was at the top for a little over an hour and was relieved that when I was in the condo 1,500 feet lower - i felt no pops or cracks.  However - i drank 1 beer and it had the effect of 3. (possibly from the altitude and also since I have barely had a sip since last September)  

The next day we took our time leaving Keystone.  We had vouchers from free ice skating - (which nothing is really free) so we went.  It was beautiful there, and afterwards we all had huge hot chocolates with extra whipped cream.  Then it was time to hit the road for Denver.  Thinking we had left early enough to beat the traffic (1230ish) we had planned on stopping on the way home for BeauJos.. but after it took us 35 minutes to get 6 miles just to get on to i-70 East our hopes of getting home any time soon were dashed.  It was a four hour drive home in stopped, snowy, icy roads. But - home safe. and everyone had a great time.
the keystone trip from my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment